Are you looking to make extra money with Vector Marketing during your summer break? So, you did your online researches to know “Is Vector Marketing A Scam Or…” If yes, you’ve come to the right place.
In my Vector Marketing review, I’ll cover the below topics to help you make up your mind.
- What Is Vector Marketing?
- How Does Vector Marketing Work?
- Vector Marketing Compensation Plan
- Vector Marketing Pros & Cons
- Who Is Vector Marketing For?
- Is Vector Marketing A Scam?
I am sure you can make a better decision once you read this review to the end. Without further ado, let’s get started.
Disclaimer: As the owner of Smileaffiliatesuccess.com, I have tracked down special deals for products, tools, and services mentioned herein. When you click my affiliate links on this page to make a purchase, I may get a small commission, and you will get a great bargain. This is a win-win advantage for both of us.
What is Vector Marketing?
-Summary of Vector Marketing-
Vector Marketing is a company that mainly sells Cutco Cutlery. In the 1980s, Cutco hired many independent sellers to sell its knives, and Vector Marketing was the best. In 1985, Cutco acquired Vector Marketing and adopted the direct selling strategy and marketing tactics to maximize sales.
They aim to recruit college students and coach them to be sales representatives during summer break. All representatives need to attend online training and go selling Cutco Knives in virtual meetings. So, if the recruiters tell you that you will sell Cutco Cutlery, you are working for Vector Marketing.
What’s inside Vector Marketing?
Vector Marketing doesn’t have any products, and they are recruiting you to sell Cutco Cutlery. So, we will only talk about all the knives or the kitchenware that you will sell once you complete the training.
Before you start selling the knives, it will be nice that you try the products first. Then, you will get a better idea about what you are going to sell.
- Knives: All kinds of knives you need in the kitchen.
- Knife Sets: Small knife sets, large knife sets, knife sets with a block or a tray, etc
- Shears: Super shears or gift shear sets.
- Cooks’ Tools: Vegetable peeler, sharpener, ice cream scoop, pizza cutter, etc.
- Tableware: Table knives, steak knives, table knife sets.
- Cookware: Sauce pans, fry pans, skillets, woodblocks, etc.
- Outdoor: Sheaths, knife for fisherman, knife for hunting, lock back knife, pocket knife, etc.
How Does Vector Marketing Work?
You see a poster hiring students for part-time works during summer break. If you are interested and call them, they will invite you to the first group interview. 9 out of 10 could pass the interview unless you act weird or like a fool.
After the group interview, they will invite you back for the 2nd and the 3rd interviews to know more about you. You need to answer your hobbies, skills, and goals. If everything goes well, you now could join the online training and learn how to make sales when you demonstrate Cutco products to your customers.
Good Features to join Vector Marketing:
- You can start selling once you turn 18 years old.
- You don’t need to have work experience in the past, and they will teach you everything you need to know.
The Compensation Plan
Unlike other MLMs in the industry, Vector Marketing’s compensation plan is straightforward and easy to understand. There are two ways to make money when you sell Cutco Cutlery with Vector Marketing.
Cutco gives a guaranteed wage of approximately $17 to $19 per appointment and is completed by sales representatives. YES, per appointment.
If we consider the time and the props we prepare for the demonstration, the hourly wage is close to half or less of $$17 to $19.
You earn a 10%-30% retail commission if you are lucky to sell any knives to your customers. The more you sell, the more commissions you can make. Here are the extra commissions you can earn:
- $0 – $1,000: 10%
- $1,001 – $4,000: 15%
- $4,001 – $7,500: 20%
- $7,501 – $12,000: 25%
- $12,000 – $24,000: 30%
- $24,000+: 30%+(unspecified)
Ugly Truth About Vector Marketing
TOP#1 Low Income Potential
Looking closer to the business opportunity, it’s easy to find out that Vector Marketing recruits students as employees instead of distributors.
However, they don’t pay you a minimum wage but pay you per appointment($17-$19), and it’s highly possible that you only get half of $17-$19 or less once you deduct all the other costs.
After two weeks, many students quit this job because it’s not worth the time and effort they spent on selling Cutco knives.
Another point is that they cannot think of anyone to sell knives once they demonstrate to all family and friends. These two are probably why I cannot find the official income disclosure from the Vector Marketing website. What I can get is the below screenshot:
TOP#2 Prey On Naive Students
College students quit the job so quickly that Vector Marketing needs to supply new employees(students) as stable as possible. They most likely use the below methods to hire college students, and I am pretty sure that you might be interested.
- Poster/newspaper/social media ads
- Cold phone calls
- Text on the classroom chalkboard
It’s not hard to find lawsuits that Vector Marketing faced in the past. I did my researches and found some easily. It seems that Vector marketing didn’t solve the problems of using misleading job descriptions to recruit college students.
- In 1990, Arizona’s attorney general sued Vector Marketing for violating the Arizona Consumer Fraud Act.
- In May 2010, Alicia Harris sued Vector Marketing, the company that recruits students to sell Cutco cutlery, for not paying her the time she spent in the training.
- In Feb 2017, Vector Marketing settled a class-action lawsuit with sales representatives who were required to attend training sessions but were not paid.
What I Liked About Vector Marketing
TOP#1 No Work Experience Needed
Typically, when you apply for a job, the job descriptions show that you need prior work experience. For Vector Marketing, you don’t.
The 3-day training session will teach you everything you need to know how to demonstrate Cutco Knives to your customers.
TOP#2 Learn TO Be A SalesPerson
When you get the phone call from Vector Marketing recruiters, the script starts. They need to get you to the 2nd & the 3rd interview because more attendees mean more sales eventually.
When you get the training, they will teach you how to get your customer to say something that you want them to say and the canned responses to handle objections.
On the other side, it’s an excellent opportunity to learn all the scripts if your goal is to become a salesperson of cars, insurance, or real estate for your career.
Although joining Vector Marketing won’t get you rich quickly, it might help you master all the scripts. Try to take this as an internship of being a top sales, and you will feel much better.
Here is the YouTube video of 3 keys to being successful in showing Cutco knives. It is worth a watch if you decide to join this opportunity!
TOP#3 Not Much Explanation Needed To Sell Knives
When you join other MLMs like Neora or Jeunesse, it takes lots of time to memorize the unique ingredients or patent technology they manufacture. But, to sell knives, there are no explanations needed for the products themselves.
Who Is Vector Marketing For?
I want to say, “No One!” But, after a second thought, Vector Marketing is for students who take this as an internship to become a top sales in the future. If we are talking about the opportunity of making money with Vector Marketing, I would not recommend it to anyone.
Can You Make Money Selling Vector Marketing?
Yes, I believe some students are born to be top sales, while the majority fail. I am not saying you won’t make money with Vector Marketing, but you need to consider the success rate of being a Vector Marketing salesperson.
For me, becoming one of Vector Marketing salespeople takes too much time but only gets a few bucks back, so it’s not my cup of tea.
Is Vector Marketing A Scam?
No, Vector Marketing is not a scam nor a pyramid scheme. It offers students an opportunity to sell Cutco’s knives, and some people make money through the compensation plan.
Let’s go through again for things I loathe about Vector Marketing before you make a final decision:
- Low-income potential, it’s highly possible that you only make a few bucks.
- They prey on naive students who didn’t have much work experience.
- Vector Marketing has lawsuits and settled a few times with lots of money.
If you have a “Nah” for any above, you will be interested in my alternative way to make money online. Check it right below.
My Alternative Way to Make Money Online
My alternative way to make money online is through Affiliate Marketing instead of promoting Cutco knives. Try to imagine you sell Cutco knives to your friends, family, or anyone around you; don’t you feel embarrassed and nervous? They might avoid you ever since.
Doing affiliate marketing will save you from that:
- It’s free to start your affiliate marketing business.
- You don’t need to buy physical products and sell them face to face.
- There is no monthly minimum sales quota in affiliate marketing.
- You don’t recruit people to become your downlines to build a team.
- You are not restricted to promote one psroduct. You can promote anything you like!
- Work on your own schedules & you are your OWN BOSS!
You only need to start a blog with quality content. So every time people land on your site to read your products reviews or other articles, they will find insight and value. If they like it, they may purchase the products or services via your links. Here come your earning potentials.
The platform I am using currently is Wealthy Affiliate. You will find all the proven-to-work training courses, every Friday night LIVE training courses, one keyword research tool called Jaaxy, 24/7 site support, and the most friendly community.
Try Wealthy Affiliate Before Bed Tonight
Take Action To Start Making Money Online Today! 🙂
Wealthy Affiliate Income Proof
Here are some of the most active members from Wealthy Affiliate. Each of them did succeed in generating a sustainable income to replace their 9-5 jobs. You are more than welcome to check their stories HERE.
- I Made Over $1 Million With Affiliate Marketing.
- Can someone make a full time income promoting WA? You bet they can!
- What Does $1000 Per Day Look Like?$
- 40,000 In One Weekend
- A Very Humbling $12,803.26 Month – August Progress Report
- It’s Getting Better: $500+ in 2 Days
- Newbies Pay Attention! $5,195.20 Affiliate Check for June: Thanks WA!
- Joined the 10K Per Month Club. January Earnings $13,481.39
- New Record: $1,300+ Per DAY! Affiliate Marketing Works & Rocks!
- Made $7,395 in a WEEK: First Black Friday Results!
I hope you enjoy this review, and you are more than welcome to share ideas or leave your comments below. I will reply as soon as I can, thanks.
Enjoy this post? Don’t forget to bookmark this page or save it on Pinterest!