Chances are, someone introduced Nu Skin products to you and you thought it seems like a great opportunity to keep young and make money simultaneously. But, deep inside your heart, the thought of “Is Nu Skin A Scam?” kept popping out from your mind. That’s why you went online searching and landed on my website today.
Am I right?
First of all, a big round of applause for you because I see you are doing your researches before joining any MLMs or online programs. This is the first important step to filter out bad ones and find a legitimate way to make money online. You are on the right track.
Secondly, I am not a distributor(brand affiliate) of Nu Skin, so you won’t see my selling any Nu Skin products or requesting you to join the same system as I do. What I am sharing today is to provide you an unbiased review based on Nu Skin business model and the compensation plan. You are able to make a better decision once you finish reading to the end.
Let’s explore more for Nu Skin further down.
What is Nu Skin?
-Summary of Nu Skin-
Product Name: Nu Skin
Founders: Founded by Blake Roney, Steve Lund, and Sandie Tillotson in 1984.
Product Type: Health and beauty MLM
Price: $35 Sign-up fee + $20 annual renewal fee
Rating: 40 / 100
Nu Skin is founded by Blake Roney, Steve Lund, and Sandie Tillotson in 1984. They develop and sell more than 200 personal care products through multi-level marketing(network marketing). Since inception the company has grown by all the distributors and the products are now available in more than 50 countries.
The most excited from Nu Skin is the anti-aging product line, and who doesn’t love one product that helps you look young & fresh forever. That caught customers’ eyes and the sales revenue exceeds US$2.68 billion in 2018.
What’s inside Nu Skin?
Nu Skin covers a wide range of products, so it’s safe to say you won’t run of things to sell from them. I won’t talk much about the products here, otherwise, I will digress from the main intent – the business opportunity. I will pick some items that I have interests in or things I want to share with my friends if I join Nu Skin.
For you, not yet join Nu Skin, it’s better to try out the products to know whether you like it or not, then join as a distributor. If so, you will have more ideas and confidence about what you are selling, right?
- AgeLOC LumiSpa: LumiSpa face cleansing device, recovery fluid(serum), tru face essence ultra(moisturizer)
- Powerlips: Lip balm, lip fluids, lip polish.
- Spa System: Facial spa conductor(large & small), conductive gel, brochure.
- Face Care: Mask, toner, day milk lotion, night cream, scrub, etc.
- Body Care: Body soaps, cleansing gel, hand lotion, etc.
- Color Cosmetics: Foundation, curl & lash Mascara, makeup tools, etc.
For every product from Nu Skin, you can check HERE.
Do Nu Skin Products Work?
I don’t use Nu Skin products myself, so I don’t have my firsthand experience to share. I went online to know what other customers talked about Nu Skin’s products just like you landed on my article.
Taking Nu Skin ageLOC TRU FACE Essence Ultra (60 capsules) as an instance, they got 72% 5-star rating on Amazon. It shows that most customers like the products and think it works on defying aging.
How Does Nu Skin Work?
There are two main ways to make money in any MLM company, and Nu Skin is no exception.
- Sell Nu Skin products to your customers to earn the retail commissions.
- Recruit people into the system to become your downlines and make group sales for extra rewards & bonuses.
Before we go further about the compensation plan, you need to know how to get started with Nu Skin.
If you only want to purchase Nu Skin products for your personal use, just sign up to become its customer and shop the items you want.
If you like to sell the products to make commissions, you need to sign up as a brand affiliate(distributor) under your sponsor and it’s inevitable to become someone’s downline.
Once all done, you could browse the introductory packages for your selling purposes. Nu Skin does not require you to purchase any products to become a brand affiliate. But, if you join Nu Skin and want to make sales, don’t you think you should get many items for your demonstrations?
The Compensation Plan
- Retail Profit: You earn the price difference between your costs and the prices you sell to the customers OUTSIDE of Nu Skin’s system.
- Retailing Bonus: You earn the differential price gaps between the member prices and the price your customer paid when they DIRECTLY purchase from Nu Skin.
- Sharing Bonus: When you have registered customers, you start to earn 5% to 20% bonus when they purchase products DIRECTLY from Nu Skin.
- Building Bonus: When your group grows, you earn a building bonus when you have at least 500 points(one block) of Commissionable Sales Value in one calendar month. This bonus ranges from 5% and stretches all the way up to 40% once you have the 16th block, which means your group makes 500*16 = 8,000 points in one month.
- Leading Bonus: Once you reach a higher ranking in Nu Skin, you will earn a leading bonus when you help your fellow brand representatives to make more sales. For each Brand Representative, you develop on your 1st generation, you can earn a Leading Bonus(2.5%, 5%, or 10%) on their Group’s CSV.
That’s probably the basic bonus you should know before you join Nu Skin. For more details about the compensation plan, feel free to check the official 24-page document HERE or watch the below YouTube video.
How Much Do You Need to Sell to Stay Active?
Since 2012, Nu Skin removed the minimum requirement to have at least 100 points(close to $100 in personal sales) monthly to keep your status for commissions and bonuses. If you want to generate a nice and decent income by selling Nu Skin products, how much do you think you need to sell? The more, the better!
If you check the annual report in 2011, it mentioned clearly that you need to have 100 points every month to qualify for commission bonuses. You may check this document HERE.
Ugly Truth About Nu Skin
It’s easy to find lawsuits against any MLMs. Since the famous Amway ruling in 1979, it seems like that every MLM tries to word the business agreements in a way that makes it less “pyramid scheme”.
Nu Skin also got many lawsuits in history, just to name a few:
- In 1992, The Connecticut Attorney General sued Nu Skin for misleading its distributors and operating a pyramid scheme.
- In March 2014, the China government fined Nu Skin for approximately $540,000 dollars due to illegal sales as well as making false product claims.
TOP#2 Low Income Potential
Wanna know how much you can achieve in the first year after joining Nu Skin? Let’s look at the 2018 income disclosure.
- For all Active Brand Affiliate, the average monthly income was $37, $444 annually.
- For Qualifying Brand Representative, the average monthly income was $120, $1,440 annually.
- For Provisional Brand Representative, the average monthly income was $64, $768 annually.
- For Brand Representative, the average monthly income was $515, $6,180 annually.
Which level above do you think you can quit your job by selling Nu Skin? I think “None!” Selling Nu Skin might be able to cover some of your bills, but it’s far from supporting your daily expenses or the whole family.
TOP#3 Expensive Products
The retail prices are always higher than your imagination, and the same for Nu Skin. If you surf a bit on the website, it’s easy to find out their products are expensive. It is the nature of MLM, so I don’t blame Nu Skin on this. They need to mark the prices so high that they can pay brand affiliates commissions if any sales are made.
Especially for the ageLOC Youth product line, the price starts from $180 to $390. I know it’s hard to resist the desire to keep looking young and beautiful, but there are more options on the internet with much lower prices, right?
What I Liked About Nu Skin
TOP#1 Social Responsibility
When a company earns profits, people expect to see them trying to improve our world to become a better place to live. Nu Skin isn’t absent for social responsibility.
They have the below two organizations to shape our world a better place for the next generations, and it’s great to see Nu Skin is doing something than nothing.
Nourish the Children: To fight childhood hunger in a sustainable manner, Nu Skin has donated more than 650 million meals since 2012.
Force for Good: To improve the lives of children, Nu Skin does provide children with life-saving heart surgeries in Asia, crucial eye care in Latin America, educational opportunities in North Asia, and sustainable futures for families in Africa.
TOP#2 A Well-Designed Website
The official website of Nu Skin is nice and clean. It won’t take long to navigate you to the page you want to check on. The color theme is bright and the layout is well-designed.
Most of the time, the first step to win the potential customers’ hearts is to have a pretty website. If like me, you are also trying to create a website as your side project of life, I would recommend you try this platform to build yours. It only takes less than one minute to build one website.
Who’s Nu Skin For?
People who tried Nu Skin products already and use them every day! When they talk about the products from Nu Skin they are using, you could see the glowing lights from their eyes. If you sound like this, congratulations, it’s possible for you to make money by selling the products you love.
Can You Make Money Selling Nu Skin?
Yes, scroll/slide up to see the income disclosure in 2018 again. Although the majority failed to generate a good income with Nu Skin, we cannot ignore there was around 0.33% of people who made a $105,048 annual income or higher.
If you commit to yourself and don’t give up on Nu Skin, I believe you can achieve this stage too. But, Ask yourself. Can you stand the pain for the first few years only earning less than $1,500 per year?
Is Nu Skin A Scam?
No, Nu Skin is not a scam nor a pyramid scheme. They develop more than 200+ products that every customer and Brand Affiliate can purchase for both personal or selling purposes, and people did make money through the compensation plan and the business model.
However, if you ask me whether I would join Nu Skin, my answer is no. Because I don’t like to join a company with many lawsuits in history, a low-income potential, and the expensive products. What I love to make money online is through Affiliate Marketing.
My Alternative Way to Make Money Online
My alternative way to make money online is through Affiliate Marketing instead of promoting Nu Skin products in person. Try to imagine you sell Nu Skin products to your friends, family, or anyone you know, don’t you feel blushed? My face turns red and hot when I only imagine myself selling products, and they might avoid you ever since.
Doing affiliate marketing will save you from that:
- You don’t even need to buy any physical or digital products and sell to someone face to face.
- You also don’t need to convince people to join you as you downlines to build a team.
- You are not restricted to only promote Nu Skin products. You can promote anything you like!
What you need to do is to create a website, YouTube channel, or Facebook/Instagram with quality content that makes your target audience trust you then purchase through your affiliate links. If they do purchase, you earn commissions. Simple as that!
The platform I am using is Wealthy Affiliate. The reasons for “Why Wealthy Affiliate?” are for all the WA training courses, LIVE training sessions every Friday night, 24/7 SiteSupport, and the world-famous/awards winning WA community!
For more details or top secrets about Wealthy Affiliate, you could check my full review below.
Wealthy Affiliate Income Proof
Here are some of the most active members from Wealthy Affiliate. Each of them did succeed in generating a sustainable income to replace their 9-5 jobs. You are more than welcome to check their stories HERE.
- I Made Over $1 Million With Affiliate Marketing.
- Can someone make a full time income promoting WA? You bet they can!
- What Does $1000 Per Day Look Like?$
- 40,000 In One Weekend
- A Very Humbling $12,803.26 Month – August Progress Report
- It’s Getting Better: $500+ in 2 Days
- Newbies Pay Attention! $5,195.20 Affiliate Check for June: Thanks WA!
- Joined the 10K Per Month Club. January Earnings $13,481.39
- New Record: $1,300+ Per DAY! Affiliate Marketing Works & Rocks!
- Made $7,395 in a WEEK: First Black Friday Results!
I hope you enjoy this review and you are more than welcome to share ideas or leave your comments below. I will reply as soon as I can, thanks.