You saw a poster of hiring people for summer work and got the phone call for a job interview, and you are told to sell knives for Cutco Cutlery. So, you land on my site to know, “Is Cutco A Scam?”
If yes, you’ve come to the right place. In my Cutco review, I’ll walk you through everything you need to know before joining. Here is something I will talk about later in this review:
- What Is Cutco?
- Cutco Products
- How To Make Money With Cutco?
- Pros & Cons
- Is Cutco A Scam?
- My Alternative To Make Money Online
Without further ado, let’s get started.
Disclaimer: As the owner of Smileaffiliatesuccess.com, I have tracked down special deals for products, tools, and services mentioned herein. When you click my affiliate links on this page to make a purchase, I may get a small commission, and you will definitely get a great bargain. This is a win-win advantage for both of us.
What is Cutco?
-Summary of Cutco-
Cutco Corporation, formerly known as Alcas Corporation, is a company that sells knives through another multi-level marketing company called Vector Marketing. The company was founded in 1949 by Alcoa and Case Cutlery (hence the abbreviation of “Al-cas”) to manufacture knives.
Alcoa purchased Case’s share of the company in 1972, and Alcas management purchased the company from Alcoa in 1982. In 1985, Alcas acquired Vector Marketing Corporation. In 2009, Alcas changed the name to Cutco, the name of the primary product.
However, is it a “work from home and be your own boss” opportunity? Let me share more details right below to help you make up your mind.
What’s Inside Cutco?
Many kinds of knives, of course.
There are so many knives that I don’t know before I check on Cutco’s website, and I am very grateful for my mother, who is in charge of the kitchen for our family. Since there are tons of knives, I don’t think I could list all knives in this article. So, I would only talk about the major product lines of Cutco.
- Knives: All kinds of knives you need in the kitchen.
- Knife Sets: Small knife sets, large knife sets, knife sets with a block or a tray, etc
- Shears: Super shears or gift shear sets.
- Cooks’ Tools: Vegetable peeler, sharpener, ice cream scoop, pizza cutter, etc.
- Tableware: Table knives, steak knives, table knife sets.
- Cookware: Sauce Pans, fry pans, skillets, woodblocks, etc.
- Outdoor: Sheaths, knife for fisherman, knife for hunting, lock back knife, pocket knife, etc.
Do Cutco Products Work?
Yes, they work quite well. If Cutco provides low-quality products, there is no possibility that they could survive over 7 decades. They must have the know-how to do things right for the business.
I don’t have any experience with Cutco knives, so I went online to know what other customers said. Taking Cutco Model 77 Super Shears 2.0 as an instance, it got 4.7 out of 5 ratings, showing how good the knife is.
How To Make Money With Cutco?
Vector Marketing Corporation is the primary company selling Cutco’s knives, so every job interview you get is from Vector Marketing. The process will be like this:
- The recruiters ask you questions about yourself via phone calls, then you are invited for interviews.
- If you are asking questions during the phone call, the recruiters will not answer you but tell you “our manager does cover that in the interview!” This is where you start your journey to sell Cutco’s knives.
Once you get the invitation for an interview, here is how it goes.
- You join a group interview. Normally, 9 out of 10 could pass the group interview, the one who doesn’t pass might act weirdly or like a fool.
- They will invite you back for a private interview, and you need to answer normal questions about your dreams, goals, and skills.
- Once you get the offer, there is an unpaid 3-day training. You will learn the sales skill and understand all knives you are about to sell.
- The last, you can use your laptop or computer to walk through product options with customers online. There is no need to purchase a demonstration kit anymore, which is good news.
Cutco Compensation Plan
Unlike other MLMs in the industry, Cutco’s compensation plan is straightforward to understand.
- Retail Commission: Earn 10%-30% retail commission. The more you sell, the more commissions you can earn.
- Guaranteed Wage: Cutco gives a guaranteed wage of approximately $17 to $19 per appointment. Although every appointment might take longer than one hour, you cannot refer them as hourly wage.
- Team Bonus: Earn 1%-10% of your downline sales as long as they sell $1,000+ per month
Ugly Truth About Cutco
If you do your researches online about Cutco, it’s easy to find out there were many lawsuits against it. To name a few here:
- In 1990, Arizona’s attorney general sued Vector Marketing for violating the Arizona Consumer Fraud Act.
- In May 2010, Alicia Harris sued Vector Marketing, the company that recruits students to sell Cutco cutlery, for not paying her the time she spent in the training.
- In Feb 2017, Vector Marketing settled a class-action lawsuit with sales representatives who were required to attend training sessions but were not paid.
TOP#2 Prey On Naive Students
Vector Marketing aims to recruit as many college students as possible to keep the business running. The stable supply of recruits and leads is an important factor because many students quit in the first two weeks.
Once you get the phone calls, the recruiters will use a script to get you to the second and third interviews.
The script is so natural that all students get hooked easily. In training, all recruits will learn the whole script, such as asking specific questions to obtain a wanted answer or memorizing canned responses to deal with rejections.
TOP#3 Low Income Potential
When you only get approximately $17 to $19 per appointment without deducting the extra expenses, it’s easy to spend more than you can make with this business. That’s the reason why students quit their jobs once they run out of their friends or family to sell knives.
There is also no official income disclosure from Cutco & Vector Marketing, so it may imply the low-income potential from this business. Otherwise, they would provide some documents on the website.
I am sure there must be someone who made lots of sales with Cutco & Vector Marketing, while the rest fail and quit in the first two weeks.
What I Liked About Cutco
TOP#1 Made In USA
In the world of “Made in China,” it’s really nice to see that Cutco keeps manufacturing knives in the USA. By doing so, it stands for the high quality of Cutco cutlery, and that’s probably the reason why they are providing a lifetime guarantee, which brings us to my next point.
TOP#2 A Lifetime Guarantee
Yes, you don’t hear me wrong. Cutco offers a lifetime guarantee if you are not completely satisfied with the products. You don’t need the receipt or registration for the replacement or the sharpness services.
If, at any time within 15 days after receipt of your Cutco products, you are not satisfied with your purchase for any reason, you can get a full refund of your purchase price. This does gain people more confidence to try their knives.
TOP#3 Partner With Alzheimer’s Association
It’s nice to see Cutco tries to be socially responsible for supporting the Alzheimer’s Association of the USA. During Alzheimer’s & Brain Awareness month(Jun 2019), Cutco offered limited-edition purple products.
They donated 10% of every Cutco purple product, with a minimum guaranteed total donation of $50,000, to the Alzheimer’s Association. Although this might be the purpose of a publicity stunt, it’s still better than nothing at all.
Who Is Cutco For?
No one, to be honest. I cannot recommend anyone to this MLM business opportunity since there are red flags, and they only recruit naive college students who are supposed to focus on their studies.
Is Cutco A Scam?
No, Cutco is not a scam. Cutco provides knives for students to sell, and maybe some of them did make sales during the summer vacation, so we cannot call it’s a scam or a pyramid scheme.
If you still want to join after this review, good luck to you. Think twice and be responsible for every decision you make. But, if you change your mind, congratulations, you might be interested in my alternative way to make money online.
My Alternative Way to Make Money Online
My alternative way to make money online is through affiliate marketing instead of promoting Cutco products. Try to imagine you sell Cutco products to your friends, family, or anyone you know. Don’t you feel embarrassed or blushed? They might avoid you ever since.
Doing affiliate marketing will save you from that:
- It’s free to start your affiliate marketing business.
- You don’t need to buy physical products and sell them face to face.
- There is no monthly minimum sales quota in affiliate marketing.
- You don’t recruit people to become your downlines to build a team.
- You are not restricted to promote one product. You can promote anything you like!
- Work on your own schedules & you are your OWN BOSS!
You only need to create a website with quality content. So every time people land on your site to read your products reviews or other articles, they will find insight and value. If they like it, they may purchase the products or services via your links. Here come your earning potentials.
The platform I am using currently is Wealthy Affiliate. You will find all the proven-to-work training courses, every Friday night LIVE training courses, one keyword research tool called Jaaxy, 24/7 site support, and the most friendly community.
Try Wealthy Affiliate Before Bed Tonight
Take Action To Start Making Money Today! 🙂
Wealthy Affiliate Income Proof
Here are some of the most active members from Wealthy Affiliate. Each of them did succeed in generating a sustainable income to replace their 9-5 jobs. You are more than welcome to check their stories HERE.
- I Made Over $1 Million With Affiliate Marketing.
- Can someone make a full time income promoting WA? You bet they can!
- What Does $1000 Per Day Look Like?$
- 40,000 In One Weekend
- A Very Humbling $12,803.26 Month – August Progress Report
- It’s Getting Better: $500+ in 2 Days
- Newbies Pay Attention! $5,195.20 Affiliate Check for June: Thanks WA!
- Joined the 10K Per Month Club. January Earnings $13,481.39
- New Record: $1,300+ Per DAY! Affiliate Marketing Works & Rocks!
- Made $7,395 in a WEEK: First Black Friday Results!
I hope you find this article useful and helpful in guiding you on the right track. If you have other opinions, you are more than welcome to leave a comment below. I will try to reply as soon as I can. Cheers.
Enjoy this post? Don’t forget to bookmark this page or save it on Pinterest!