If you want to sell essential oils to make money, you must hear about doTERRA. You may wonder, “Is doTERRA essential oils a scam?”
If yes, you’ve come to the right place. In my doTERRA review, I’ll cover the below topics to help you make up your mind.
- What is doTERRA?
- doTERRA Product
- doTERRA Compensation Plan
- doTERRA 2019 Income Disclosure
- doTERRA Pros & Cons
- Who Is doTERRA For?
- Is doTERRA A Scam?
Without further ado, let’s dive deep.
Disclaimer: As the owner of Smileaffiliatesuccess.com, I have tracked down special deals for products, tools, and services mentioned herein. When you click my affiliate links on this page to make a purchase, I may get a small commission, and you will definitely get a great bargain. This is a win-win advantage for both of us.
What is doTERRA?
-Summary of doTERRA–
Product Name: doTERRA
Founders: David Stirling(CEO) in April 2008
Product Type: Essential Oils and other related products(MLM, multi-level marketing)
Price: $35 membership fee + $105-$1,950 starter kit + renewal fee $25
doTERRA is an MLM company that sells essential oils, personal care, and supplements. It also provides a business plan for people to make money simultaneously.
With more than 3 million Wellness Advocates(distributors) across 100 countries, doTERRA’s sales revenue exceeded over 1 billion by the end of 2015 and keeps growing for the next decade.
What’s inside doTERRA?
Just like other MLM companies, doTERRA has its essential oils and other products. Besides, you can build your team to maximize your earnings through the compensation plan. Let’s start with the products.
doTERRA Product Lines
Essential oil is the first thing that comes to people’s minds when they think of doTERRA. But, they have developed other product lines for distributors to promote. It’s safe to say that you won’t run out of products to showcase.
doTERRA developed many product lines during those years, but I won’t go through them one by one for all of them. Here are the products that you can promote:
- Essential Oils: including single oils(lavender, lemongrass, rose, etc) and proprietary blends
- doTERRA On Guard Products: hand wash, mouth wash, laundry detergent, etc
- doTERRA Breathe Products: vapor stick or respiratory drops
- DeepBlue Products: soothing products that could be used for massage
- DigestZen Products: products that help people with digestive issues
- Personal Care: body care, hair care, or skincare products
- Supplements: daily vitality, kids supplements, or weight loss products
How To Make Money With doTERRA?
There are two ways to make money with doTERRA; doTERRA is no exception.
- Sell doTERRA products to make commissions.
- Recruit people under you to hit group sales for extra bonuses and incentives.
You don’t make money by recruiting people under your team but by the sales made by you and your downline team members. This is the difference between calling it a legit MLM business and a pyramid scheme.
You can choose to become a Wholesales Customer or Wellness Advocate with doTERRA. But, we will only focus on becoming a Wellness Advocate(distributor).
To start your doTERRA journey and make money, you must pay a low membership fee of $35.
And then, you can choose one starter pack to start promoting the business. The prices range from $105 to $1,950. You can find all of them here.
Don’t forget there is also a membership renewal fee of $25. The cost doesn’t stop here…
To stay active with doTERRA, you need at least 100PV per month, around $150. If you cannot sell $150 essential oils to anyone else, you probably would purchase them for yourself to be active.
Now, we can calculate the total cost of becoming a doTERRA Wellness Advocate in one year.
- $35 Membership Fee
- $105-$1,950 Starter Kit
- $150 monthly sales to stay active*12 month=$1,800
- $25 membership renewal fee
The best is that you spend $1,965, while the worst is $3,810. Other costs are not included, such as additional training, gas, travel, and miscellaneous expenses needed for your MLM business. If we count everything in, the actual cost must be higher than my calculation here.
doTERRA Compensation Plan
You will earn commissions once you reach sales targets and get extra bonuses. Here is the compensation plan you need to know before you start with doTERRA.
- Retail Bonus: you earn 25% profits from the retail customers. If you sell $100 value products, then you earn $25.
- Fast Start Bonus: Get paid 5%-20% of your downline’s PV for their 60 days, and you also need to have 100PV in the same calendar months.
- Power of 3 Bonus: Earn $50, $250, and $1,500 when you have 100PV with 3, 9, and 27 downlines.
- Unilevel Organizational Bonus: you earn a certain percentage of your downline’s earnings once you meet doTERRA’s requirements, which goes to 7 levels deep.
If you still don’t understand, that’s alright. You can check the details here or just remember selling doTERRA products and recruiting many people into the system.
What I Liked About doTERRA
TOP#1 Essential Oils Works!
Many studies proved that essential oils soothe and calm the pain caused by some diseases, especially anxiety, depression, insomnia, tiredness, and drowsiness. You can check this page for more details.
TOP#2 A Great BBB Rating
doTERRA got an A-PLUS rating on BBB, and it only gets 26 complaints in the last three years & with five complaints closed during the previous 12 months.
I’ll advise you to check what others said about doTERRA on major review sites. Don’t miss the feedback from real customers since you might face the same in the future.
Ugly Truth About doTERRA
TOP#1 doTERRA 2019 Income Disclosure
doTERRA income disclosure shared interesting numbers, and you must use them as references.
Below are their earnings in a typical month, before expenses.
- 50% earned more than $320
- Top 10% earned more than $1,260
- Top 1% earned more than $8,793.52
- The Top 1% of Distributors have spent 3 to 11 years and an average of 8 1/2 years on their business.
I don’t know about you, but making $320-$1,260 a month is far from enough to support your daily expense, let alone raise your children.
You could take this as a way to make extra money but not as a primary income source. If you stick to your plan and work hard to sell and promote the doTERRA business, you might succeed in 3-11 years.
TOP#2 Recruit, Recruit, and Recruit
Since it’s not that easy to make a fortune by only selling doTERRA’s products, recruitment becomes a great way to maximize your earnings.
If you look closely at the compensation plan, you will also find that most encourage you to bring more people into doTERRA. The more people you enroll into doTERRA’s system, the more commissions you can make.
TOP#3 Marketing Violation
In 2014, the FDA issued an FDA warning letter to doTERRA to allow the advocates to market its products as possible treatments or cures for Ebola, cancer, autism, and other conditions.
Who Is doTERRA For?
People who love essential oils believe that they can change people’s lives with quality essential oils.
If you can turn yourself into a full-time sales manager of your doTERRA business and a recruiting machine, you will start seeing commissions, bonuses, and incentives very soon.
Is doTERRA A Scam?
No, doTERRA is not a scam.
doTERRA provides real products and the top 1% of advocates who made decent money with the compensation plan and the commission structure.
Before you join doTERRA, I hope you read my full review carefully for all the things I don’t like much.
- The first is the low-income potential. You found doTERRA because you need extra bucks in your pocket, but the results are not ideal.
- Second, you must recruit as many people as possible to make more commissions.
- The third, doTERRA ever allowed its advocate to promote the products with something not validated or proven to work.
When making money online, there are plenty of options on the internet, such as freelancing, dropshipping, GPT sites, drop services, or affiliate marketing. Wanna know my top pick? Read on!
My Alternative Way to Make Money Online
My alternative way to make money online is through affiliate marketing instead of promoting doTERRA in person.
Imagine you sell doTERRA products to your friends, family, or anyone you know. Don’t you feel embarrassed or blushed? They might avoid you ever since.
Doing affiliate marketing will save you from that:
- It’s free to start your affiliate marketing business.
- You don’t need to buy physical products and sell them face to face.
- There is no monthly minimum sales quota in affiliate marketing.
- You don’t recruit people to become your downlines to build a team.
- You are not restricted to promoting one product. You can promote anything you like!
- Work on your schedules & you are your OWN BOSS!
You only need to start a blog with quality content. So every time people land on your site to read your product reviews or other articles, they will find insight and value.
If they like it, they may purchase the products or services via your links. Here come your earning potentials.
The platform I am using currently is Wealthy Affiliate. You will find all the proven-to-work training courses, every Friday night LIVE training courses, one keyword research tool called Jaaxy, 24/7 site support, and the most friendly community.
You are more than welcome to check my full Wealthy Affiliate review HERE, or click the button right below to start your online journey with us.
Wealthy Affiliate Income Proof
Here are some of the most active members from Wealthy Affiliate. Each of them did succeed in generating a sustainable income to replace their 9-5 jobs. You are more than welcome to check their stories HERE.
- I Made Over $1 Million With Affiliate Marketing.
- Can someone make a full time income promoting WA? You bet they can!
- What Does $1000 Per Day Look Like?$
- 40,000 In One Weekend
- A Very Humbling $12,803.26 Month – August Progress Report
- It’s Getting Better: $500+ in 2 Days
- Newbies Pay Attention! $5,195.20 Affiliate Check for June: Thanks WA!
- Joined the 10K Per Month Club. January Earnings $13,481.39
- New Record: $1,300+ Per DAY! Affiliate Marketing Works & Rocks!
- Made $7,395 in a WEEK: First Black Friday Results!
I hope you enjoy this review and you are more than welcome to share ideas or leave your comments below. I will reply as soon as I can, thanks.
Enjoy this post? Don’t forget to bookmark this page or save it on Pinterest!